The 1970's

Early in 1974, John Hartman took over the Fire Chief’s job and was met very early with the challenge of losing Pumper #613 due to a roll over accident on Highway F south of Pacific on March 22. On April 14th of the following year, Ed Rathert was sworn in as a board member, taking the place of Harry Palmer.

1976 was a big year for the Pacific Fire Protection District. The districts first apparatus purchase was put in service, a Ford/FMC Pumper.  It cost $55,400, was originally a single cab but later converted to have rear jump seats and would serve the district until 2000.  A new boat, motor and trailer, which were purchased out of the pockets of the volunteer fire firefighters at house 1, were placed in service in October. The district received another gift, this time from the Pacific Kiwanis Club, in October. This civic organization had raised enough donations to purchase the “Jaws of Life” for the district. Late in 1977, the district and the community would find out just how important this gift would be.  This valuable tool would serve the taxpayers until it was replaced in 2005.

1977 began with Edwin Bruns’ appointment as Fire Chief. In June 1977, the deed for the property for a new station in Robertsville was received and in August, the new tanker was placed in service. On December 7, 1977 Firefighter Keith Bruns was responding to station one for an emergency call when his car was struck by a freight train. The “Jaws of Life”, which had just been placed in service the previous October, was utilized to extricate Keith from his vehicle.

Stay tuned for more stories from the 50 years of Pacific Fire Protection District

 

Pictures show:

  • 613 After the being repaired from the rollover

  • 1976 FMC before refurb 

  • 1976 after refurb, seen with rear seating and booster reel removal

  • New Jaws of Life

  • Training fire with Battalion Chief Bill Graf

  • Pacific’s Fire house at the time of the merger with 1971 American Lafrance pumper, 1954 Central/ International Pumper, 1968 Jeep, 1959 Ford water truck

  •  Robertsville’s 1953 Red Chevrolet Howe apparatus that was part of the merger

  • Robertsville’s original fire house

50 years.png

Newspaper Articles 

Photos

Celebrating         Years of Service